Pre-Game Thoughts
My confidence has dwindled a bit since last writing, which was immediately after the high of winning the last scenario so securely. To be honest, I am kind of scared of this next quest. I have played the 3 scenarios in The Road Darkens once before, and beat each one on my first try. Journey in the Dark was a VERY close victory, and would not have been possible if it weren’t for Frodo’s card ability (I used The Black Riders version, which is why I insisted on using that version here rather than The Road Darken’s version). Last time I made absolutely no intent on harming or even inconveniencing the Balrog in any way. I don’t remember his exact stats, but I remember they were alarming, and trying to conceive of how I could even damage it from an attack.
I also remember there is an opportunity at some point
where I can kill off one of my heroes to do equal damage to that character’s
threat to the Balrog. I was playing with Gandalf, so that would have dealt a
whopping 14 damage to him. I remember thinking that will do nothing… fly you
fool!
Now could I take the coward’s approach again? I mean,
sure, that is an option. But now I am playing in campaign mode, and I imagine
there will be everlasting consequences for not killing the Balrog… that kind of
seems like a big deal. I need a Balrog killer on my team.
And that is why I chose Gimli! He seems to be one of
the heaviest hitters in the game, and my strategy is to load him up with as
much attack power as is possible. Hopefully this, in combination with enlisting
enough allies as Balrog fodder to buy me time, will be enough. If it comes to
it, I can sacrifice Gandalf for his +14 damage. I would rather sacrifice
Pippin, but his +6 damage will likely not cut it. In short, any attack
advantage needs to go to Gimli, because he is my only hope for killing the
Balrog and will not be sacrificed.
So there’s my strategy. Let’s see if it pays off!
|
Heroes: |
Campaign Pool: |
||||
|
Current: Gandalf Gimli Pippin Frodo Baggins (TBR) Previously Used in Campaign: Aragorn Sam Gamgee |
Boons: Anduril Gildor
Inglorion Glamdring Mithril
Shirt Noble Hero
(Frodo Baggins) Sting Burdens: Gandalf’s
Delay |
||||
|
Deck |
|||||
|
Allies (21): |
Attachments (19): |
Events (10): |
|||
|
x2
Barliman Butterbur x3
Elrond x2
Erebor Hammersmith x1
Henamarth Riversong x1
Master of the Forge x3
Wandering Ent x1
Beorn x2
Boromir x2
Farmer Maggot x2
Gondorian Spearman x2
Vassal of the Windlord |
x2
Fast Hitch x2
Protector of Lorien x2
Self Preservation x2
Citadel Plate x1
Dagger of Westernesse x2
Dwarven Axe x1
Horn of Gondor x2 Gandalf’s Staff x2 Wizard Pipe x3
Fellowship of the Ring |
x1
Risk Some Light x2
Halfling Determination x1
Quick Strike x3 Flame of Anor x3
Frodo’s Intuition |
|||
|
Legend |
|||||
|
Allies |
Allies put into play during the
Planning Phase this turn |
Activity log. ED: Encounter Deck EE: Enemy from ED EL: Location from ED ET: Treachery from ED EO: Objective from ED SA: staging area >>: engages #: Event card played PA: Player A +: enters play -: exits play ===: Quest Card completed QC: Quest Card //: defeats |
|||
|
Attachments |
Attachments put into play during
the Planning Phase this turn |
||||
|
Threat |
Staging Area threat / player
threat at beginning of round |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Engaged enemies at the beginning
of turn (damage tokens on enemy) |
||||
|
Location Log |
Location at beginning of turn
>> location traveled to this turn during Travel Phase |
||||
|
Setup |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
SA:
+ Gandalf’s Delay SA:
+ Doom, Doom, Doom SA:
+ Overcome By Grief (Bu) SA:
+ Grievous Wound (Bu) SA:
+ Many-Pillared Hall |
|||
|
Attachments |
+
The One Ring (Frodo) +
Noble Hero (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
1
/ 31 |
||||
|
Engaged
Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location
Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
1 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Darkened Stairway |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Fast Hitch (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
1 / 31, DDD: 10 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Darkened Stairway |
||||
|
Turn
2 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Mines of Moria |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Fellowship of the Ring (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
1 / 32, DDD: 9 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Darkened Stairway >> Mines
of Moria >> Many-Pillared Hall |
||||
|
Turn
3 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Boromir + Erebor Hammersmith |
EL: Mines of Moria |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 33, DDD: 8 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Many-Pillared Hall >>
Mines of Moria >> |
||||
|
Turn
4 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+Vassal of the Windlord |
ET: Fool of a Took ===QC 1 Complete=== SA: + Chamber of Mazarbul SA: + Orc-Chieftain PA >> Orc-Chieftain Gimli gains Grievous Wound |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Wizard Pipe (Gandalf) |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 34, DDD: 7 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Chamber of Mazarbul |
||||
|
Turn
5 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent + Wandering Ent |
EE: Moria Orc PA >> Moria Orc |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 36, DDD: 5 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Orc-Chieftain |
||||
|
Location Log |
Chamber of Mazarbul >> |
||||
|
Turn
6 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Gondorian Spearman |
# Quick Strike PA // Orc-Chieftain EL: Ancient Guardroom PA // Moria Orc |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 37, DDD: 3 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Moria Orc |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Ancient Guardroom |
||||
|
Turn
7 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Elrond |
- Grievous Wound (Gimli) EL: Mines of Moria - Elrond |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Protector of Lorien (Frodo) + Dwarven Axe (Gimli) |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 39, DDD: 2 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Ancient Guardroom >> Mines
of Moria >> |
||||
|
Turn
8 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent + Vassal of the Windlord |
EL: Mines of Moria SA: + The Balrog (9 defense…
sheesh) The Balrog // Gondorian Spearman - Fellowship of the Ring Pippin gains Overcome By Grief The Balrog // Erebor Hammersmith |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 40, DDD: 1 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Mines of Moria >> |
||||
|
Turn
9 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Master of the Forge + Barliman Butterbur |
***I just realized that I have
not been adding 2 ECs when no enemies were in the SA… EE: Uruk from Mordor Uruk from Mordor // Barliman
Butterbur The Balrog // Master of the
Forge The Balrog // Vassal of the Windlord The Balrog // Vassal of the
Windlord PA // Uruk from Mordor ===QC 2 Complete=== ET: Deep Fissure SA: + The Great Bridge |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 41 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
The Balrog (12) |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
10 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Farmer Maggot |
EE: Moria Archer The Balrog // Farmer Maggot - Fellowship of the Ring The Balrog // Boromir PA // Moria Archer |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ The Fellowship of the Ring |
||||
|
Threat |
10 / 45 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
The Balrog (13) |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> The Great Bridge |
||||
|
Turn
11 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Mines of Moria # Halfling Determination - Gandalf (location effect) - The Balrog |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 46 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
The Balrog (13) |
||||
|
Location Log |
The Great Bridge >> The
Mines of Moria >> |
||||
|
Turn
12 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Ancient Guardroom |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 47 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
13 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Moria Orc Frodo uses The One Ring EL: Darkened Stairway ===QC 3 Complete=== |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
2 / 48 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
===Victory?=== Score: n/a |
|||||
Reflection
This game…
I love it so much, but just like anything or anyone you love, it has the
greatest potential to cause you pain. My strategy paid off; Gimli had a decent
attack power (even though neither copy of Citadel Plate showed up), and I was
able to kill the Balrog by sacrificing Gandalf. But I screwed up. On the second
Quest Card, I was instructed to add an additional Encounter Card if there were
no enemies in the Staging Area, which I ignored for 4 turns.
This is
one of the most frustrating parts of LOTR LCG—there are so many rules! The game
by itself is complicated, but there are often so many special rules in play
unique to the scenario it can become a lot to track and remember. I find this
especially true with Campaign Mode, where additional cards are often added with
setup. I suppose this is part of the magic of LOTR LCG; the complexity keeps
things fresh and difficult for one strategy to always pay off. But what do you
do when you are halfway through a game and realize you have been playing wrong?
Scrap it and start again? Keep playing? If it is an easy fix, I will sometimes retroactively
undo my mistake, but not drawing about 4 additional Encounter Cards during the
Quest Phase? That’s a pretty big deal; you can’t fix it.
Being
honest, in this particular scenario I feel like my mistake harmed me more than
helped. I was stuck at Quest Card 2 for a long time and had overflow Progress
Tokens, because I could not move on until I defeated 3 enemies and I just was
not drawing enemies. The extra Encounter Card draw if no other enemies were in
the Staging Area was intended to move this along. But still, I can’t say for
sure I would have ultimately benefited from this extra draw, because who knows what
kind of treacheries I would have encountered, or what extra enemies could have
done to my quest progression.
While I
am tempted to move on, I think I will re-do this quest to play it correctly. I’m
glad I played through it, though. Gaining experience in difficult scenarios is
quite helpful. Upon further reflection of my thoughts prior to playing this scenario,
knowing that I had the opportunity to kill the Balrog made a HUGE difference. I
decided to attack the Balrog right away, dealing him 12 damage. My first playthrough
of this scenario (before starting Campaign Mode) was so difficult because I saw
he had a key word “indestructible.” Why damage a foe that cannot be killed? I
saved my energies for questing. Then when the Last Bridge came into play, along
with the opportunity to sacrifice a hero in order to be able to kill the Balrog,
it was too late. The Balrog had already killed off my allies and there was no
way I could make up for my lack of attack power (I also did not have Gimli with
me then). This is likely obvious, but knowing what is coming can be a game-changing
advantage. For this reason, I always recommend finishing a game until you
officially lose, rather than cutting your losses and ending it when it becomes
apparent winning is not hopeful. It can be painful to keep playing with no hope
of victory, or knowing that you may win but you will want to replay it anyway
because you ignored one of the million rules at play, but it will serve you in
the next game.
Most
Valuable Cards (MVC)
MVC #1:
Protector of Lorien (Core Set). While I don’t record every time I active a
character ability or attachment ability, I used this 3 times this game. It
allows the player to discard cards from their hand in order to raise their
willpower or defense by 1 for the phase (limit 3 times per phase). This is a great
way to use cards in your hand you do not need, and I used it to increase my
willpower for better questing to complete locations and Quest Cards sooner.
MVC #2:
Dwarven Axe (Core Set). This simply added +2 attack for Gimli, but with his
four damage tokens on him and his character ability, he was at a whopping 8
attack. The Balrog has a defense of 9, so with a couple allies helping out I
was able to damage the Balrog fairly easily.
MVC #3:
Wandering Ent (Celebrimbor’s Secret). Seriously, these guys are my favorite
allies. I have detailed their worth in a previous post, but I got all three in
play this game and they are the most versatile allies I have played with, and come
at such a low cost.
Most
Valuable Hero
Gimli. I’m
sure you saw this coming, but for this quest Gimli is essential (unless you
wish to run from the Balrog). His attack potential is unparalleled, at least with the heroes I have played with so far.
Looking
Forward
I am
fairly optimistic about re-doing this scenario. I did not have the best card
draw, and still pulled out a victory here. I never saw Citadel Plate, Gandalf’s
Staff, or any of the Boons I earned last quest (there was like four of them!). Not
only that, but I drew Gildor Inglorion as a freaking shadow card… what rotten
luck! I think my deck is well-suited for this mission, so with a bit more luck
I am hoping to win more securely.
One thing
I may try… I was able to get decent attack power and do some serious damage to
the Balrog (12 damage in one turn!). This is not sustainable since the Balrog
attacks twice per turn and has a huge attack stat (so chump blocking is a
must), but if I can do more damage I may be able to sacrifice Pippin to him
instead of Gandalf. This would not only be quite humorous, but would allow me
to use Gandalf on future scenarios. I do actually like Pippin as a supporting
hero (he's low threat, has a good character ability, and gives access to the Lore Sphere), so we’ll see what happens. In fact, he is the only thematic Lore hero I have for the next couple scenarios, so losing him would also mean losing my precious Wandering Ents, at least for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment