|
LOTR Part 4: The Ring Goes South (easy mode) |
|||||
|
The Road
Darkens cards have been added to the card pool. With the party
arriving at Rivendell, the Campaign allows for me to change up my party
without receiving the permanent threat penalty. I like to use at least one
hero included with the new expansion, and in this case that means I am
playing with Gandalf (he is the only hero in The Road Darkens)! Gandalf is a
very powerful hero, but this comes with a threat cost of a whopping 14. It
may have been wiser to pair Gandalf with two hobbits, who have lower threat
costs, but I know the team I build needs to take on a Balrog eventually, so I
want a warrior and access to the Tactics sphere. Thematically, the three best
choices are Gimli (threat of 11), Legolas (threat of 9), and Boromir (threat
of 11). I chose Gimli because he is a heavier hitter, but also because I want
to give him a shot at Durin’s Bane. For my last hero, I wanted a low threat
option. Thematically, that leaves Merry and Pippin. I didn’t want Merry
(otherwise I would only have the Tactics sphere), so Pippin stayed in the
party! Hopefully he proves more useful in Moria than he does in the books… I also want to
stress a large negative aspect to using Gandalf. First off, I can’t use
Gandalf ally cards, which have been super helpful so far. Also, per campaign
rules, if a hero dies, they cannot be used for future quests in the campaign,
in either hero or ally form. This could be a huge problem because if Gandalf
dies as a hero, I will no longer have access to my Gandalf ally cards, which
are some of the most powerful cards in the game. Let’s hope Gandalf does
better in Moria this time… or I can at least pray that there is a mechanism
in campaign mode to have him return as Gandalf the White. |
|||||
|
Heroes: |
Campaign Pool: |
||||
|
Current: Gandalf Gimli Pippin Frodo Baggins (TBR) Previously Used in Campaign: Aragorn Sam Gamgee |
Boons: + Anduril + Glamdring + Mithril
Shirt + Sting Gildor
Inglorion Noble Hero (Frodo Baggins) Burdens: Gandalf’s
Delay |
||||
|
Deck |
|||||
|
Allies (21): |
Attachments (19): |
Events (10): |
|||
|
x2
Barliman Butterbur x3
Elrond x2
Erebor Hammersmith x1
Henamarth Riversong x1
Master of the Forge x3
Wandering Ent x1
Beorn x2
Boromir x2
Farmer Maggot x2
Gondorian Spearman x2
Vassal of the Windlord |
x2
Fast Hitch x2
Protector of Lorien x2
Self Preservation x2
Citadel Plate x1
Dagger of Westernesse x2
Dwarven Axe x1
Horn of Gondor x2 Gandalf’s Staff x2 Wizard Pipe x3
Fellowship of the Ring |
x1
Risk Some Light x2
Halfling Determination x1
Quick Strike x3 Flame of Anor x3
Frodo’s Intuition |
|||
|
Legend |
|||||
|
Allies |
Allies put into play during the
Planning Phase this turn |
Activity log. ED: Encounter Deck EE: Enemy from ED EL: Location from ED ET: Treachery from ED EO: Objective from ED SA: staging area >>: engages #: Event card played PA: Player A +: enters play -: exits play ===: Quest Card completed QC: Quest Card //: defeats |
|||
|
Attachments |
Attachments put into play during
the Planning Phase this turn |
||||
|
Threat |
Staging Area threat / player
threat at beginning of round |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Engaged enemies at the beginning
of turn (damage tokens on enemy) |
||||
|
Location Log |
Location at beginning of turn
>> location traveled to this turn during Travel Phase |
||||
|
Setup |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
Boon:
Sting added to hand. Boon:
Mithril Shirt, Glamdring, and Anduril shuffled into PA’s deck. |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
|
||||
|
Engaged
Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location
Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
1 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent |
+++QC 1 Completed+++ EE: Howling Warg EE: Howling Warg PA >> Howling Warg PA // Howling Warg |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Gandalf’s Staff (Gandalf) + Sting (Frodo) + Fast Hitch (Frodo) + Dwarven Axe (Gimli) |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 31 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Redhorn Pass |
||||
|
Turn
2 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent |
EL: Hills of Hollin PA >> Howling Warg PA // Howling Warg |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Mithril Shirt (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
2 / 32 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Howling Warg |
||||
|
Location Log |
Redhorn Pass >> Hills of
Hollin |
||||
|
Turn
3 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Boromir |
ET: Regiments of Crows +++QC 2 Complete+++ SA: + Great Warg Chief Great Warg Chief >> PA Howling Warg put into play,
>> PA PA // Great Warg Chief |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 33 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Hills of Hollin >> |
||||
|
Turn
4 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent |
EE: Howling Warg PA // Howling Warg |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 38 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Howling Warg |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
5 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Redhorn Foothills # Frodo’s Intuition +++QC 3 Complete+++ SA: + Watcher in the Water Frodo captured by Watcher in the
Water Howling Warg >> PA Frodo returns to PA # Flame of Anor PA // Howling Warg |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
2 / 39 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Doors of Durin, Redhorn
Foothills |
||||
|
Turn
6 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Barliman Butterbur + Henmarth Riversong |
EE: Hound of Sauron EL: Redhorn Foothills - Fellowship of the Ring Watcher in the Water // Barliman
Butterbur PA // Hound of Sauron |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Fellowship of the Ring (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 40 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Watcher in the Water |
||||
|
Location Log |
Doors of Durin, Redhorn
Foothills >> Doors of Durin, Redhorn Foothills |
||||
|
Turn
7 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Beorn + Erebor Hammersmith |
ET: Storm of Howls EE: Great Warg Chief Frodo uses the Ring to re-draw EL: Redhorn Foothills # Halfling Determination Doors of Durin explored +++QC 4 Complete+++ |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Wizard’s Pipe (Gandalf) |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 41 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Watcher in the Water |
||||
|
Location Log |
Doors of Durin, Redhorn
Foothills >> |
||||
|
===Victory=== Score: 116 |
|||||
Reflection:
What a game! I received so many attachment Boons in Rivendell right at the start, and this only amplified my attachment-heavy deck. My characters were ready to rock and roll right out of the gate; I never felt overwhelmed in this scenario, but each turn felt action-packed and a lot of fun.
And can we talk about Frodo? He had so many attachments! The One Ring, Noble Hero, Fast Hitch, Sting, and Mithril Shirt. The dude had a willpower of 4, a defense of 3, and could ready once per round. Additionally, with Sting's ability if I used him to defend (I did twice, I believe) I could deal automatic damage based on the threat of a random Encounter Deck draw.
I am also very pleased with Gandalf as a hero. With his all 3 stats, he was used as he was needed for questing, attacking, or defending. His staff consistently helped the team, and Flame of Anor is EXCELLENT in a pinch, as it readies Gandalf and gives him an attack stat boost. I did not notice the absence of his ally card this game.
Most Valuable Cards (MVCs)
MVC #1: Wandering Ent (Celebrimbor's Secret). All 3 copies showed up, and with their impressive all-2
stats I was equipped for all kinds of challenges. I have noticed these guys consistently are used in games, and I think this is due to (a) my affinity toward the Lore sphere and (b) the fact that they are such a good deal; they are cheap allies with high stats. Their only downside is that they must enter play exhausted, so cannot be used the round they start (without some other card effect). Wandering Ent is from one of the adventure packs I purchased, Celebrimbor's Secret, which I purchased for the sole reason of getting Galadriel as a hero (who I have yet to play with). What luck!
MVC #2: Gandalf’s Staff (The Road Darkens). So powerful! I could have used this for card draw or
canceling shadow cards, but I found myself using it heavily for resource generation
instead to get good cards into play quickly. This paired very nicely with my
attachments.
MVC #3: Halfling Determination (The Black Riders). An event that costs one Tactics resource and
gives +2 to all stats for hobbit heroes! This has so many applications, but in
the end I used it to get +4 willpower to explore the Door of Durin a turn early,
saving me from an additional attack from the Watcher in the Water, having to
travel to Redhorn Foothills AGAIN, and taking any other shit the Encounter Deck
had to offer. I like to have at least a few willpower boosters in my deck for just such occasions (Frodo's Intuition is another great one, but only can be used in the Saga Expansions).
Looking Forward
I am also feeling good about my team for Moria next time. Gimli is heavy hitter. This game, he got his Dwarven Axe early and took two damage, giving him 6 attack power for most of the game. If I were to have drawn the Citadel Plate, this could have easily gone higher. Not to mention all the other bonus attachments I received in Rivendell! You never know what cards will be in your hand, but I feel like there is a good chance I'll have a high attacking team by the end of the next scenario.
No comments:
Post a Comment