Alright, I’m ready for another crack at this! I’m feeling confident given the last game (although not confident in my reading skills), so let’s give it another go.
|
Heroes: |
Campaign Pool: |
||||
|
Current: Gandalf Gimli Pippin Frodo Baggins (TBR) Previously Used in Campaign: Aragorn Sam Gamgee |
Boons: Anduril Gildor
Inglorion Glamdring Mithril
Shirt Noble Hero
(Frodo Baggins) Sting Burdens: Gandalf’s
Delay |
||||
|
Deck |
|||||
|
Allies (21): |
Attachments (19): |
Events (10): |
|||
|
x2
Barliman Butterbur x3
Elrond x2
Erebor Hammersmith x1
Henamarth Riversong x1
Master of the Forge x3
Wandering Ent x1
Beorn x2
Boromir x2
Farmer Maggot x2
Gondorian Spearman x2
Vassal of the Windlord |
x2
Fast Hitch x2
Protector of Lorien x2
Self Preservation x2
Citadel Plate x1
Dagger of Westernesse x2
Dwarven Axe x1
Horn of Gondor x2 Gandalf’s Staff x2 Wizard Pipe x3
Fellowship of the Ring |
x1
Risk Some Light x2
Halfling Determination x1
Quick Strike x3 Flame of Anor x3
Frodo’s Intuition |
|||
|
Legend |
|||||
|
Allies |
Allies put into play during the
Planning Phase this turn |
Activity log. ED: Encounter Deck EE: Enemy from ED EL: Location from ED ET: Treachery from ED EO: Objective from ED SA: staging area >>: engages #: Event card played PA: Player A +: enters play -: exits play ===: Quest Card completed QC: Quest Card //: defeats |
|||
|
Attachments |
Attachments put into play during
the Planning Phase this turn |
||||
|
Threat |
Staging Area threat / player
threat at beginning of round |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Engaged enemies at the beginning
of turn (damage tokens on enemy) |
||||
|
Location Log |
Location at beginning of turn
>> location traveled to this turn during Travel Phase |
||||
|
Setup |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
SA:
+ Gandalf’s Delay SA:
+ Doom, Doom, Doom SA:
+ Overcome By Grief (Bu) SA:
+ Grievous Wound (Bu) SA:
+ Many-Pillared Hall |
|||
|
Attachments |
+
The One Ring (Frodo) +
Noble Hero (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
1
/ 31, DDD: 10 |
||||
|
Engaged
Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location
Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
1 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent |
ET: Deep Fissure |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Gandalf’s Staff (Gandalf) + Mithril Shirt (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
1 / 31, DDD: 10 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Many-Pillared Hall |
||||
|
Turn
2 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Boromir |
ET: We Cannot Get Out Gandalf gains Grievous Wound |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 32, DDD: 9 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Many-Pillared Hall >> |
||||
|
Turn
3 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Henamarth Riversong |
EL: Many-Pillared Hall |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 33, DDD: 8 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Many-Pillared Hall |
||||
|
Turn
4 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Great Cave-Troll Frodo uses character ability to
redraw ET: Shadow of Fear EL: Mines of Moria - Mines of Moria |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Sting (Frodo) +Wizard Pipe (Gandalf) |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 34, DDD: 7 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Many-Pillared Hall |
||||
|
Turn
5 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Moria Orc ===QC 1 Complete=== SA: + Chamber of Mazarbul SA: + Orc-Chieftain Orc-Chieftain >> PA PA // Orc-Chieftain |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Protector of Lorien (Pippin) |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 36, DDD: 6 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Many-Pillared Hall >>
Chamber of Mazarbul |
||||
|
Turn
6 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Master of the Forge |
EL: Mines of Moria - Mines of Moria PA // Moria Orc |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Citadel Plate (Gimli) + Fast Hitch (Frodo) + Dwarven Axe (Gimli) + Self Preservation (Gandalf) |
||||
|
Threat |
2 / 37, DDD: 4 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Moria Orc |
||||
|
Location Log |
Chamber of Mazarbul |
||||
|
Turn
7 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Uruk from Mordor EE: Moria Orc ET: Fool of a Took # Frodo’s Intuition PA // Uruk from Mordor |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Glamdring (Gandalf) |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 38, DDD: 3 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Chamber of Mazarbul >> |
||||
|
Turn
8 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Gondorian Spearman + Wandering Ent + Erebor Hammersmith |
EL: Darkened Stairway # Halfling Determination ===QC 2 Complete=== EL: Mines of Moria SA: + The Balrog The Balrog // Gondorian Spearman Pippin gains Overcome By Grief PA // Moria Orc |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
2 / 40, DDD: 1 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Moria Orc |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> The Great Bridge |
||||
|
Turn
9 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Great Cave-Troll Frodo uses CA to redraw ET: We Cannot Get Out (This is great… Gimli now has 7
Damage Tokens, bringing him up to 11 attack power.) - Mines of Moria The Balrog // Master of the
Forge - Fellowship of the Ring The Balrog // Erebor Hammersmith |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Fellowship of the Ring (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
11 / 41 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
The Balrog (6) |
||||
|
Location Log |
The Great Bridge |
||||
|
Turn
10 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Mines of Moria - Mines of Moria Gandalf is defeated (noooo!) - Fellowship of the Ring The Balrog is defeated |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Fellowship of the Ring (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
9 / 42 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
The Balrog (11) |
||||
|
Location Log |
The Great Bridge (1) >>
Darkened Stairway |
||||
|
Turn
11 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Deep Fissure |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Fast Hitch (Pippin) |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 43 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Darkened Stairway >> |
||||
|
Turn
12 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Great Cave-Troll Frodo uses CA EL: Ancient Guardroom (I drew Darkened Stairway for
the Ancient Guardroom travel effect… yikes! That’s +4 threat.) |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 44 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Ancient Guardroom |
||||
|
Turn
13 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Orc-Chieftain ===QC 3 Complete=== |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
0 / 49 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Ancient Guardroom >> |
||||
|
===VICTORY=== (Easy Mode) Score: 142 Campaign Pool: + Overcome By Grief (Bu) +Shadow of Fear (Bu) Defeated Heroes: Gandalf |
|||||
Reflection
What a
close victory! This playthrough was much more intense than my last one, ending
with a threat of 49 with no option to reduce it… and this is why I love this
game despite its complicated rules. The game is so balanced; when I play on
Easy Mode, I win more often than not (I still lose fairly often), but it is often
so close. I love the thrill!
Despite
my heavy attack power, I decided to sacrifice Gandalf rather than Pippin. If I
had sacrificed Pippin like I was considering, my thematic choices to replace
him would be Sam, Aragorn, Boromir, Merry, or Legolas. My reasons are ultimately
thematic, with a bit of strategy. Now I have not looked ahead, but my guess is
that I cannot change characters until I get to Edoras; there are two quests
between now and then. If I chose Sam, this would be thematically awkward after
the Ring Goes South, as he would accompany Aragorn and Gimli on their quest to
find the captives (in the books, the captives are Merry and Pippin). Everyone
knows Sam needs to be with Frodo. If I were to choose Boromir, this too would
be awkward, as I really do not want him to die in the Ring Goes South for campaign
purposes, and I don’t want him to live to join Aragorn and Gimli on their hunt
for thematic purposes. I could pick Merry, but he is in the Tactics Sphere, so
I would basically have a mono-sphere deck (Gandalf, Merry, Gimli), and I have
not had luck historically with a mono-tactics deck. This leaves Aragorn or
Legolas, but their starting threat of 9 or 12 would be very high with Gandalf
and Gimli, 35-38 total with the penalty for replacing a hero. Alas, I decided to
stick with the thematic sacrifice and chose Gandalf. I may replay this campaign
without being so thematic, to create a sort of alternative timeline story. For
now, Pippin lives. I will revisit my replacement choice in the Looking Forward
section.
I would also like to point out that the Balrog was handled much more efficiently than my last playthrough. He only killed 3 allies this time, versus the 7 allies he killed last game. I was not drawing as many allies this game so I was worried, but I drew more enemies from the Encounter Deck during the second Quest Card to progress quickly to the Great Bridge. Indeed, I feel the Darkened Stairway was a greater threat to me this game than the Balrog (although admittedly I built my team and deck to deal with the Balrog)! It just goes to show you that these scenarios can play very differently game to game.
Most
Valuable Cards (MVC)
MVC #1: Fellowship
of the Ring (The Road Darkens). This card has to be MVC #1… I truly do not
believe I would have won without it! It’s an attachment that gives each hero +1
willpower, but must be discarded if a character you control is defeated. At one
point I had 11 threat in the Staging Area due to the Balrog and locations, and
the active location was the Great Bridge (which once explored, allowed me to
defeat the Balrog). I used Fellowship of the Ring twice (because it got
discarded right away by the stupid Balrog) to get some extra willpower needed
to quest successfully.
MVC #2: Citadel
Plate (Core Set). I’m glad this showed up this game! It’s +4 HP gave Gimli even
greater attack potential, which was used to weaken the Balrog enough to discard
him as soon as Gandalf’s 14 damage tokens were dealt to him. Thanks to Citadel
Plate and Dwarven Axe, Gimli’s final attack power was 11!
MVC #3: Henamarth
Riversong (Core Set). Henamarth is one of my favorite allies, and he proved
incredibly useful here. He is cheap (1 Lore resource), and doesn’t have overly
impressive stats, but his ability allows him to exhaust to view the top card of
the Encounter Deck. He effectively works as a scout to see what is coming, and
allowed me to quest very efficiently. For example, when I knew Deep Fissure was
coming in turn 11, I didn’t bother saving an attacker and defender in case
there was an enemy; I committed everyone to the quest to maximize willpower.
Most
Valuable Hero
Frodo
Baggins (The Black Riders). If you read each turn’s report, this just makes
sense. I absolutely hate the Great Cave-Troll, and I used Frodo’s character
ability 3 times to negate dealing with him. The Great Cave-Troll has some nasty
stats for a regular enemy, but also if there is any leftover damage to be dealt
(if he defeated his target), it would take that many progress tokens away from
the active quest. Yikes! I never once had to deal with a troll, so thank you
Frodo. Additionally, I had Mithril Shirt and Sting attached to Frodo, making
him a viable defender, and allowing me to deal some damage to his attackers.
With Fast Hitch, he was a questing, defending, and troll-stopping machine.
Looking
Forward
With
Gandalf defeated, I have a tough choice to make. I could choose not to replace
Gandalf to negate the +1 starting threat, but let’s be honest, I don’t want
that, as it would mean being a hero short for at least the next 2 quests. So
who should join Pippin and Gimli from here?
For thematic
reasons stated above, Boromir and Sam are out. This leaves Merry, Legolas, and Aragorn.
Merry works best when is in an all-hobbit party, and I have a low enough threat
with Pippin to include the more powerful Legolas or Aragorn. I will chew on
this a bit… I love me some Legolas, but Aragorn led the Fellowship after
Gandalf dies in the books, so he is a more thematic choice. Am I a sucker for
Legolas or theme more? Stay tuned to find out.
No comments:
Post a Comment