Legolas won out! After looking at the Treason of Saruman rules, I decided to pick Legolas because Aragorn will be replacing Frodo in the next quest, and I didn’t want to make a Leadership/Tactics/Lore deck for the next scenario, only to make a Tactics/Lore deck for the one after. I suppose laziness was the ultimate tie-breaker.
I removed my Gandalf-y cards from the deck, and added
my Legolas-y ones, like Hands Upon the Bow and Gondolin Blade. I chose the
Leaf-Wrapped Lembas for my boon from the Lady Galadriel. All of the gift
options seemed powerful, but you can only use them one time and then they are
removed from the campaign pool. So I need to save this for a critical hour of
need!
I’m a little bit skeptical of my heroes and deck for
this particular scenario. It’s been a while since I last played The Breaking of
the Fellowship, but I feel like it will be more location-heavy than combat
heavy. Hopefully Halfling Determination, the Wandering Ents, and the Fellowship
of The Ring will pull me through!
|
Heroes: |
Campaign Pool: |
||||
|
Current: Gimli Legolas, +1 threat Pippin Frodo Baggins (TBR) Previously Used in Campaign: Aragorn Sam Gamgee Gandalf
(defeated) |
Boons: +
Leaf-Wrapped Lembas Anduril Gildor
Inglorion Glamdring Mithril
Shirt Noble Hero
(Frodo Baggins) Sting Burdens: +
Overcome by Grief + Shadow
of Fear Gandalf’s
Delay |
||||
|
Deck (50) |
|||||
|
Allies (23): |
Attachments (16): |
Events (11): |
|||
|
x2
Barliman Butterbur x3
Elrond x2
Erebor Hammersmith x1
Gleowine x1
Henamarth Riversong x1
Master of the Forge x3
Wandering Ent x1
Beorn x2
Boromir x3
Farmer Maggot x2
Gondorian Spearman x2
Vassal of the Windlord |
x2
Fast Hitch x2
Protector of Lorien x2
Self Preservation x2
Blade of Gondolin x2
Citadel Plate x2
Dwarven Axe x1
Horn of Gondor x3
Fellowship of the Ring |
x3
Halfling Determination x3
Hands Upon the Bow x2
Quick Strike x3
Frodo’s Intuition |
|||
|
Legend |
|||||
|
Allies |
Allies put into play during the
Planning Phase this turn |
Activity log. ED: Encounter Deck EE: Enemy from ED EL: Location from ED ET: Treachery from ED EO: Objective from ED SA: staging area >>: engages #: Event card played PA: Player A +: enters play -: exits play ===: Quest Card completed QC: Quest Card //: defeats CA: Character Abilty |
|||
|
Attachments |
Attachments put into play during
the Planning Phase this turn |
||||
|
Threat |
Staging Area threat / player
threat at beginning of round |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Engaged enemies at the beginning
of turn (damage tokens on enemy) |
||||
|
Location Log |
Location at beginning of turn
>> location traveled to this turn during Travel Phase |
||||
|
Setup |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
SA:
+ Gandalf’s Delay SA:
+ Overcome By Grief SA:
+ The Argonath SA:
+ Sarn Gebir +1
threat for hero replacement |
|||
|
Attachments |
+
Leaf-Wrapped Lembas (Pippin) |
||||
|
Threat |
4
/26 |
||||
|
Engaged
Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location
Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
1 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent |
ET: Black Feathered Arrows |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Glamdring (Legolas) |
||||
|
Threat |
4 / 27 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Sarn Gebir |
||||
|
Turn
2 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Uruk-Hai Captain Frodo uses his CA to redraw EL: Wooded Shoreline |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Citadel Plate (Gimli) |
||||
|
Threat |
1 / 28 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Sarn Gebir |
||||
|
Turn
3 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Black Feathered Arrow SA: + Uruk-Hai Hunter |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Blade of Gondolin (Legolas) + Protector of Lorien (Pippin) |
||||
|
Threat |
4 / 29 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Sarn Gebir >> Wooded
Shoreline |
||||
|
Turn
4 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: River Anduin |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 30 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Wooded Shoreline >> River
Anduin |
||||
|
Turn
5 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Shores of Amon Hen # Frodo’s Intuition |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Self-Preservation (Legolas) |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 31 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
River Anduin >> Slopes of
Amon Hen |
||||
|
Turn
6 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Growing Threat EE: Uruk-Hai Captain |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Fellowship or the Ring (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 32 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Slopes of Amon Hen >> The
Argonath |
||||
|
Turn
7 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: River Anduin ===QC 1 COMPLETE=== Uruk-Hai Captain >> PA Uruk-Hai Hunter >> PA # Quick Strike (Legolas) PA // Uruk-Hai Hunter (Gimli took the Captain’s attack
undefended, but is now up to 11 attack! Thank you, Citadel Plates.) ===QC 2 COMPLETE=== (I chose The Seat of Amon Hen
for QC 3.) EE: Uruk-Hai Archer Wandering Ent is discarded |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Citadel Plate (Gimli) |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 35 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
The Argonath |
||||
|
Turn
8 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Elrond + Farmer Maggot |
EE: Uruk-Hai Hunter ET: Ill Fate Pippin gains Ill Fate EE: Uruk-Hai Tracker # Quick Strike (Gimli) PA // Uruk-Hai Captain Uruk-Hai Hunter // Farmer Maggot Pippin Gains Overcome by Grief |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 36 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Uruk-Hai Captain |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> River Anduin |
||||
|
Turn
7 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Gondorian Spearman |
ET: Black Feathered Arrows PA uses Leaf-Wrapped Lembas Uruk-Hai Hunter // Gimli (I was trying to chump-block,
but a Shadow Effect made me take the hit undefended.) |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
1 / 37 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Uruk-Hai Tracker Uruk-Hai Hunter |
||||
|
Location Log |
River Anduin >> |
||||
|
Turn
8 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Henamarth Riversong |
ET: Growing Threat Uruk-Hai Hunter returns to SA Uruk-Hui Hunter >> PA Uruk-Hai Hunter // Henamarth
Riversong Uruk-Hai Tracker // Gondorian
Spearman PA // Uruk-Hai Tracker |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
1 / 38 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Uruk-Hai Tracker Uruk-Hai Hunter |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
9 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Slopes of Amon Hen Uruk-Hai Hunter // Pippin PA // Uruk-Hai Hunter |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
1 / 44 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Uruk-Hai Hunter |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
10 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Boromir |
EL: Slopes of Amon Hen PA threat exceeds 50. |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
4 / 49 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
===DEFEAT=== |
|||||
Reflection
Oh boy… this
scenario felt like a struggle from the beginning, but I thought I had a chance
of victory until that nasty shadow card effect on Turn 7. Once I lost Gimli, it
was just a slow bleed out.
What
happened? I think the biggest thing that worked against me was my lack of
allies in the beginning. Once Frodo left, my main questing character was no
longer available. I only had one ally for the longest time, the Wandering Ent,
who pulled their weight, but then I drew the Uruk-Hai Archer which makes the play
discard an ally you control. With Wandering Ent being my only ally, I was
forced to discard them.
Most
Valuable Cards (MVC)
MVC #1: Quick
Strike (Core Set). With two heavy-hitting heroes (Gimli and Legolas), I was
able to use two of these cards to kill an enemy before they could attack me. The
attack power of the enemies in this scenario are all mid-level, and there are a
lot of them, so this was most welcomed.
MVC #2: Citadel
Plate (Core Set). I was able to get two of these bad boys on Gimli, so he could
absorb a lot of the archery damage that is so common among the Uruk-Hai
(archery damage is automatic at the beginning of the Combat Phase; it requires
to deal X damage among characters controlled, which for me was almost always
heroes, given my lack of allies).
Most
Valuable Hero
Gimli.
Being able to have a hero absorb so much archery damage is great, but it also
beefs him up so I was able to use Quick Strike with him quite effectively. His
willpower of 2 also made him a quester, if needed.
Looking
Forward
I don’t
think I’m ready to tweak my deck just yet; I think if I had better ally draw I
could have beaten this scenario.
One
lesson I did learn was to be more liberal with questing in the beginning. In
Quest Card 1 enemies cannot engage you, but I kept keeping someone back just in
case there was a nasty treachery card. I found my reserve hero or two was not
needed.
If I
struggle to beat this again, I may consider swapping Legolas for Aragorn for
access to the leadership sphere (and more allies).
No comments:
Post a Comment