The Breaking of the Fellowship, take 2!
I did slightly tweak my deck. I have a lot of weapon
attachments with my boons (and Citadel Plates, with Gimli), so I removed the 2
Dwarven Axe cards and replaced them with an additional Vassal of the Windlord
and Feint (which prevents an enemy from attacking for a phase, very handy
against the Uruk-Hai).
|
Heroes: |
Campaign Pool: |
||||
|
Current: Gimli Legolas, +1 threat Pippin Frodo Baggins (TBR) Previously Used in Campaign: Aragorn Sam Gamgee Gandalf
(defeated) |
Boons: + Leaf-Wrapped
Lembas Anduril Gildor
Inglorion Glamdring Mithril
Shirt Noble Hero
(Frodo Baggins) Sting Burdens: +
Overcome by Grief + Shadow
of Fear Gandalf’s
Delay |
||||
|
Deck (50) |
|||||
|
Allies (24): |
Attachments (14): |
Events (12): |
|||
|
x2
Barliman Butterbur x3
Elrond x2
Erebor Hammersmith x1
Gleowine x1
Henamarth Riversong x1
Master of the Forge x3
Wandering Ent x1
Beorn x2
Boromir x3
Farmer Maggot x2
Gondorian Spearman x3
Vassal of the Windlord |
x2
Fast Hitch x2
Protector of Lorien x2
Self Preservation x2
Blade of Gondolin x2
Citadel Plate x1
Horn of Gondor x3
Fellowship of the Ring |
x1
Feint x3
Halfling Determination x3
Hands Upon the Bow x2
Quick Strike x3
Frodo’s Intuition |
|||
|
Legend |
|||||
|
Allies |
Allies put into play during the Planning
Phase this turn |
Activity log. ED: Encounter Deck EE: Enemy from ED EL: Location from ED ET: Treachery from ED EO: Objective from ED SA: staging area >>: engages #: Event card played PA: Player A +: enters play -: exits play ===: Quest Card completed QC: Quest Card //: defeats CA: Character Abilty |
|||
|
Attachments |
Attachments put into play during
the Planning Phase this turn |
||||
|
Threat |
Staging Area threat / player
threat at beginning of round |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Engaged enemies at the beginning
of turn (damage tokens on enemy) |
||||
|
Location Log |
Location at beginning of turn
>> location traveled to this turn during Travel Phase |
||||
|
Setup |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
SA:
+ Gandalf’s Delay SA:
+ Overcome by Grief SA:
+ Sarn Gebir SA:
+ The Argonath Threat
+1 for hero replacement |
|||
|
Attachments |
+
Leaf-Wrapped Lembas (Pippin) |
||||
|
Threat |
4
/ 26 |
||||
|
Engaged
Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location
Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
1 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent |
EO-A: Gildor Inglorion! Quest: +4 |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Citadel Plate (Gimli) |
||||
|
Threat |
4 / 27 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Sarn Gebir |
||||
|
Turn
2 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Followed by Night EL: Slopes of Amon Hen Quest: +10 - Gildor Inglorion |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Fellowship of the Ring (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
1 / 28 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Sarn Gebir >> The Argonath |
||||
|
Turn
3 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent |
EL: River Anduin Quest: +4 ===QC 1 COMPLETE=== ===QC 2 COMPLETE=== Frodo is removed from play. For QC 3, I chose Orc Hunting. |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 29 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
The Argonath >> |
||||
|
Turn
4 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Uruk-Hai Tracker EL: Slopes of Amon Hen Quest: -1 Uruk-Hai Tracker >> PA |
|||
|
Attachments |
Horn of Gondor (Pippin) |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 30 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Slopes of Amon Hen |
||||
|
Turn
5 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Farmer Maggot + Erebor Hammersmith |
EE: Uruk-Hai Archer - Farmer Maggot Pippin gains Overcome by Grief Quest: +4 Uruk-Hai Tracker (1) is
discarded. |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 33 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Uruk-Hai Tracker (1) |
||||
|
Location Log |
Slopes of Amon Hen >>
River Anduin |
||||
|
Turn
6 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: River Anduin Quest: 0 PA >> Uruk-Hai Archer # Quick Strike PA // Uruk-Hai Archer |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
4 / 34 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
River Anduin |
||||
|
Turn
7 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Farmer Maggot |
EE: Uruk-Hai Captain Quest: -1 PA >> Uruk-Hai Captain |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Protector of Lorien (Pippin) |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 36 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
River Anduin |
||||
|
Turn
8 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Wandering Ent |
ET: Black Feathered Arrow Quest: +5 Uruk-Hai Captain (1) is
discarded. |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 39 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Uruk-Hai Captain (1) |
||||
|
Location Log |
River Anduin >> River Anduin |
||||
|
Turn
9 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Growing Threat ET: Orcs of the White Hand Quest: +6 |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 40 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
River Anduin >> |
||||
|
Turn
10 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Ill Fate Legolas gains Ill Fate ET: Black Feather Arrows Quest: +6 |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 43 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
11 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Elrond (heals all of Gimli’s damage) |
EO-A: Gildor Inglorion Quest: +5 ===QC 3 COMPLETE=== Frodo rejoins PA. SA: + Uruk-Hai Tracker PA // Uruk-Hai Tracker - Elrond |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 44 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Parth Galen |
||||
|
Turn
12 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Uruk-Hai Tracker Farmer Maggot is discarded. ET: Growing Threat ET: Followed by Night ET: Black Feathered Arrows Quest: +19 ===QC 4 COMPLETE=== |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Mithril Shirt (Frodo) |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 45 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Parth Galen |
||||
|
===VICTORY=== Score: 171 Campaign Pool: Pippin is taken captive. |
|||||
Reflection
Things
went better this round, but it was still a struggle there for a minute! I drew
more allies, which helped a lot, but weirdly I kept drawing Lore cards, so my
limited resource generation slowed things down a bit. I also did not draw
nearly as many enemies, which made the game quite different in feel. Indeed, I
chose the Quest Card 3 option that allowed me to discard an engaged enemy when
I quested successfully, but the land cards were generally a bigger threat; I
think things would have gone smoother if I chose the option to discard a land
card from the Staging Area when I quested successfully instead.
Questing
is tough with my current deck without Frodo, but luckily I got by. By the end,
when Frodo re-joined and I had more allies in play I could clear the 16 token
Quest Card 4 in a single turn, without using Event cards to boost my willpower.
Again, I
want to emphasize to new players who quickly realize this game is punishing: if
you lose, play again. Your deck draw and the Encounter deck draw can make the
same quest play very differently game to game. And this is part of the magic of
LOTR LCG; it has great re-play value.
In
retrospect, I think I would have replaced Gandalf with Aragorn instead of
Legolas; I think his willpower, readying ability, and Leadership sphere (and
the allies and resource generation that come with it) would have made things go
smoother for this scenario.
And Gildor freakin' Inglorion... this guy hardly ever shows up, but I got him TWICE this game! He came a bit early for my liking, given that Frodo needs to use a Fellowship resource to keep Gildor in play. But his willpower boost (and absence of a threat card) was most welcomed in turn 11!
Most
Valuable Cards (MVC)
MVC #1:
Wandering Ents (Celebrimbor’s Secret). These guys show up as an MVC on the
regular, and I think a large part this is due to the fact that I often draw
them by chance, and I often will draw 2-3 in a game. Their willpower carried me
through the period where Frodo was missing. I often rely on the Wandering Ents
for questing, and that was critical this scenario.
MVC #2:
Elrond (The Road Darkens). Elrond works like the Gandalf ally; he only shows up
for one turn. He has impressive stats and when he is put in play allows the
player to heal all damage from a single hero, discard a Condition attachment,
or draw a card. I have used him in the past to discard Conditions (this is
especially useful for campaign mode, where many of the burdens introduced attach
to heroes as conditions), but in this particular scenario his healing option
was sorely needed. Gimli (with his Citadel Plate) was at 8 damage, one away
from death, due to absorbing all the archery damage. All my allies and heroes
were beginning to accrue some kind of damage as a result, but I was able to
heal Gimli to resume taking all the archery damage again, which kept my allies
in play. This was critical for my questing, but also for my threat because of
the Ill Fate condition Legolas had, which raised my threat by 2 when a
character I controlled was destroyed. I ended with a threat of 47, so losing
two allies would have cost me the game. Note: I could have discarded Ill Fate
with Elrond instead of healing Gimli, but the archery in this scenario is no
joke, especially with the Black Feathered Arrows treachery cards. I deemed
archery a greater threat than threat increase.
Most
Valuable Hero
Gimli.
This was a tough one to call… in all honesty Frodo did the most good, but he
was gone most the game so I didn’t feel he should qualify. There wasn’t a
substantial amount of combat (especially since I chose Orc Hunting for Quest
Card 3), so Gimli’s character ability wasn’t used much, but his high HP stat
and Citadel Plate attachment absorbed a lot of archery damage.
Looking
Forward
I have finished
The Fellow Ship of the Ring! From here on out, I am treading into unknown
waters; I have never played the remaining of the saga scenarios before, so I
will be learning as I go.
The
campaign card told me to mark one hero as “captive” for the next scenario. This
makes me very tense, as the only other scenario played that has had a captive
hero in it is Escape from Dol Gurdur, which I have yet to beat. I obviously
chose Pippin to be the captive; it was the thematic choice. This will leave the
3 hunters for my other party members to pursue: Gimli, Legolas, and
Fellowship-sphere Aragorn. Can’t get more thematic than that!
No comments:
Post a Comment