Before I begin, I realized while reading an online forum that I have been playing the burden Overcome by Grief incorrectly. The card gets attached to a hero when a character I control is destroyed (ally or hero), and then for the remainder of the game if a character I control is destroyed, the hero Overcome by Grief is attached to exhausts and cannot ready until the end of the round. I have interpreted that to mean that the hero with this burden readies at the end of the round like normal, but it was pointed out this is incorrect; characters ready during the Refresh phase, which is before the end of the round technically.
How has this impacted my gameplay? Overcome by Grief
is not attached from the start, but as soon as a character (in my cases, an ally)
is defeated, it gets attached to a hero. I always attached it to Pippin, who
has served as one of my questers. Effectively, I was interpreting Overcome by
Grief to mean the attached hero could not ready for the remainder of the
current turn. In reality, Pippin should have remained exhausted until the
Refresh phase of the NEXT turn, so I would not be able to use that hero for the
rest of the current turn and next turn, not just the current turn.
It’s impossible to know how this would have impacted
the last two scenarios, and I have no desire to repeat these. My speculation is
this would have meant I lost in Moria (where chump-blocking was necessary and
would have triggered Overcome by Grief), but probably wouldn’t have impacted
The Breaking of the Fellowship. I will continue on playing correctly, but know
my victories may not be justified by the rules.
The Treason of Saruman cards have been added to my
collection.
Pippin was taken captive by the Uruk-Hai, so it is up
to Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas to save him! I looked ahead just a little bit,
it looks like Pippin will not be under my control for this next scenario, which
makes sense given the narrative. But this leaves me in the awkward situation of
only have Legolas, Gimli, and Fellowship-sphere Aragorn. Aragorn comes with 3
Fellowship cards, and 3 from previous saga expansions can be used with him
(giving him 6 total Fellowship cards). That leaves 44 cards to complete my
deck, with only tactics heroes under my control. I had to make a… dun dun
dunnnnn… mono-sphere tactics deck!!
To put it bluntly, mono-sphere tactics decks are
known for sucking. Tactics is great for defeating enemies efficiently, but is
notorious for its lack of willpower both in its heroes and allies. Indeed, of
my allies in my new deck, only Boromir, Beorn, and Farmer Maggot have more than
0 willpower stat, and they are all at just 1. And they are all unique, so only
one copy of each can be in play at a time. And Beorn only has one copy included
in the Core Set to begin with. In short, questing will likely be a big issue
this scenario, unless they designed it kindly for players who want to be
thematic and don’t own the Sands of Harad (which includes Leadership Gimli and
Spirit Legolas). I’m already missing my Wandering Ents.
Additionally, I was instructed by the campaign to
remove Gildor Inglorion from the campaign pool. I’m happy I saw him twice in my
last game before he had to leave, but his absence stings even more now that I
can’t even hope for his possible addition to willpower. But then again, knowing
Gildor, he probably wouldn’t have shown up anyway.
And finally, I need to be careful of chump-blocking,
which Overcome by Grief will punish me for. Given that Gimli and Aragorn have 2
willpower and Legolas only has 1, I think Legolas will end up with Overcome by
Grief to keep the limited willpower I do have going.
Well let’s just see how this goes! Let’s hunt some
orc.
|
Heroes: |
Campaign Pool: |
||||
|
Current: Gimli Legolas, +1 threat Pippin, captive Aragorn (TToS) Previously Used in Campaign: Frodo
Baggins Sam Gamgee Gandalf
(defeated) |
Boons: Anduril Glamdring
Leaf-Wrapped Lembas Mithril
Shirt Noble Hero
(Frodo Baggins) Sting Burdens: + Followed by Night Gandalf’s
Delay Overcome by
Grief Shadow of
Fear |
||||
|
Deck (50) |
|||||
|
Allies (21): |
Attachments (8): |
Events (21): |
|||
|
x1
Beorn x3
Boromir x3
Farmer Maggot x3
Gondorian Spearman x3
Henneth Annun Guard x2
Horseback Archer x3
Vassal of the Windlord x3
Veteran Axehand |
x3
Arod x2
Blade of Gondolin x2
Citadel Plate x1
Horn of Gondor |
x3
Blade Mastery x2
Feint x3
Halfling Determination x3
Hands Upon the Bow x2
Quick Strike x1
Stand Together x1
Swift Strike x3
Frodo’s Intuition x3
The Three Hunters |
|||
|
Legend |
|||||
|
Allies |
Allies put into play during the
Planning Phase this turn |
Activity log. ED: Encounter Deck EE: Enemy from ED EL: Location from ED ET: Treachery from ED EO: Objective from ED SA: staging area >>: engages #: Event card played PA: Player A +: enters play -: exits play ===: Quest Card completed QC: Quest Card //: defeats CA: Character Abilty |
|||
|
Attachments |
Attachments put into play during
the Planning Phase this turn |
||||
|
Threat |
Staging Area threat / player
threat at beginning of round |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Engaged enemies at the beginning
of turn (damage tokens on enemy) |
||||
|
Location Log |
Location at beginning of turn
>> location traveled to this turn during Travel Phase |
||||
|
Setup |
|||||
|
Allies |
|
SA:
+ Overcome by Grief SA:
+ To Isenguard! (Pippin
taken captive) SA:
+ Ugluk PA
threat +1 due to hero replacement |
|||
|
Attachments |
+
Leaf-Wrapped Lembas (Aragorn) |
||||
|
Threat |
3
/ 26 |
||||
|
Engaged
Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location
Log |
Eastemnet |
||||
|
Turn
1 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Farmer Maggot |
EE: Uruk-Hai Fighter Quest: 0 PA >> Uruk-Hai Fighter |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Anduril (Aragorn) |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 27, PV: 10 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Eastemnet |
||||
|
Turn
2 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: The Wold Quest: -2 - Leaf-Wrapped Lembas (SE) PA // Uruk-Hai Fighter |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Arod (Legolas) + Horn of Gondor (Aragorn) |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 28, PV: 12 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
Uruk-Hai Fighter |
||||
|
Location Log |
Eastemnet |
||||
|
Turn
3 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Isengard Uruk Quest: -2 PA >> Isengard Uruk Isengard Uruk // Farmer Maggot Gimli gains Overcome by Grief PA // Isengard Uruk SA: - The Wold (thanks Arod) |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
5 / 31, PV: 14 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Eastemnet >> |
||||
|
Turn
4 |
|||||
|
Allies |
+ Farmer Maggot |
EL: Eastemnet Quest: +2 |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 34, PV: 17 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Eastemnet |
||||
|
Turn
5 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Fighting Uruk-Hai Uruk-Hai Fighter comes into play
engaged w/ PA. # The Three Hunters Quest: +4 PA // Uruk-Hai Fighter |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 35, PV: 20 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
Eastemnet >> |
||||
|
Turn
6 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EE: Snaga Quest: +2 PA >> Snaga # Quck Strike PA // Snaga |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Citadel Plate (Gimli) |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 36, PV: 22 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
7 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Unseen Barrier Quest: +4 |
|||
|
Attachments |
+ Blade of Gondolin (Legolas) |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 37, PV: 24 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
Turn
8 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
EL: Eastemnet Quest: +2 |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 38, PV: 26 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
>> Eastemnet |
||||
|
Turn
9 |
|||||
|
Allies |
-- |
ET: Saruman’s Orders ET: Strange Weariness Quest: 0 Pursuit Value hits 30. |
|||
|
Attachments |
-- |
||||
|
Threat |
3 / 39, PV: 29 |
||||
|
Engaged Enemies |
-- |
||||
|
Location Log |
|
||||
|
===DEFEAT=== |
|||||
Reflection
This was
a very disappointing experience. I chose my heroes based on what I thought was
the thematic choice: Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas, the three hunters in the
books. Pippin was a captive, also accurate to the books. Since I don’t own the
expansion that contains Spirit Legolas or Leadership Gimli, choosing thematic
heroes resulted in a mono-sphere tactics deck, known for lacking willpower.
This quest needs HEAVY willpower. The Pursuit Value begins at 10, and increases
by at least 2 each round while Quest Card 1 is active. Additionally, there are
Encounter Card effects that require the Pursuit Value to increase, such as the
travel cost to Eastemnet and the Wold. So the Pursuit Value is increasing by
2-3 each round, and my average questing increase was 0.88.
So I just
need to get through Quest Card 1 and this will stop the Pursuit Value from
increasing so much, right? Yes, but I need X progress tokens on Quest Card 1 to
progress to Quest Card 2, where X is the Pursuit Value. So the Pursuit Value is
not only increasing ever closer to 30 (where I lose), but the ability to get past
Quest Card 1 keeps getting further away in the distance… how can I possibly
win?
After
licking my wounds, I realized that this was an intentional design choice. In
fact, in the books the Three Hunters (Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn) do not rescue
the captives (Merry and Pippin). They keep chasing them, but get delayed by the darkness at night (Aragorn needs light to track the Uruk-Hai, otherwise they could be
running in the wrong direction). The Uruk-Hai barely rest in their running,
knowing they are being tracked and trying to avoid a confrontation with the
Rohirrim. In other words, this scenario is incredibly thematic; my experience
echoes the experience of The Three Hunters in the books to a tee: there is simply no hope in catching up to those goddamn Uruk-Hai.
Okay,
that’s all well and good, but how to I move past this? This is a game, after
all.
Well, so
far I picked thematic choices that flowed with the game design. I realized that
I actually strayed from this, and it comes back to my decision to replace
Gandalf with Legolas after Journey in the Dark. Gandalf was obviously meant by the game designers to fall
to the Balrog, just as he did in the books. As I mentioned, the most thematic
choice would have been Aragorn to replace him, as he led the Fellowship in
Gandalf’s absence until the Fellowship divided (which was the previous
scenario).
So you would
have had Gimli, Pippin, and Aragorn; how would that have changed anything?
As I
already noted, I think having the Leadership sphere in The Breaking of the
Fellowship would have been made things go much smoother than they did in my
victory. But the real impact is that when I began this scenario (The Uruk-Hai), Fellowship-sphere Aragorn replaces Frodo, and the rules state that if Aragorn
was one of my heroes in the previous scenario, I can replace him with another hero without the permanent
+1 threat penalty.
Sure, but
then wouldn’t the thematic replacement for the Uruk-Hai scenario be Legolas? You
would still be in the same boat.
No! As I
mentioned, thematically Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli are not successful. They
never rescue Merry and Pippin, which is the point of this mission. In the
books, Merry and Pippin rescue themselves essentially, but only with the help of
others: The Three Hunters, who were tracking the Uruk-Hai causing them to be hasty, but ultimately
lagging too far behind; the Rohirrim led by Eomer, who attacked the Uruk-Hai, which
ultimately led the captives to escape; and Treebeard, who intercepted the captives and safely guided them through Fangorn Forest.
So who
should have replaced Aragorn?
Looking
at the new heroes introduced in this expansion, Theoden and Treebeard, I think
the intended choice was Treebeard (Theoden was still under Wormtongue's influence, and was not helpful to anyone at this time). While this choice feels a bit anti-thematic
given Treebeard did not chase the captives, it is thematic in the resolution of
the quest: the rescue of Merry and Pippin. In the LOTR books, Treebeard did not
attack an orc that was chasing the captives into Fangorn like he did in the
movies, but he did take Merry and Pippin and move them quickly into the forest,
which protected them from none other than Saruman himself. Indeed, when the Three Hunters finally
made it to Fangorn, they see Saruman wandering about, no doubt looking to intercept
the hobbits he hoped carried the One Ring.
Mechanically,
this scenario would go much smoother with Treebeard replacing Legolas. Treebeard
belongs to the Lore Sphere, which is known for cheaper allies with high
willpower, along with healing abilities (indeed, with defending and the archery
damage Legolas had 2/4 damage, Gimli 4/5 until I got Citadel Plate (then 4/9), Aragorn
3/5, and Farmer Maggot 1/2. Additionally, Treebeard has 2 willpower (as opposed
to Legolas’ 1) to help with questing, and has the ability to deal 1 damage to
himself to give him a willpower and attack boost of +1 until the end of the
phase (limit 5 times per phase, so this could be very powerful with healing!). Imagine Treebeard with 1-2 copies of Self Preservation attached!
So I
goofed; I was trying to win the quest in a way that was not even possible in the
books. I have two options to fix this: I can re-do The Breaking of the
Fellowship (again… ugh) and change out Legolas with Aragorn, or I can switch
Legolas or Gimli for Treebeard and incur a permanent +1 threat.
It pains
me to write this, but I feel I need to choose the former option… back in time I
go. This will also allow me to partially rectify my mistake of misunderstanding
Overcome by Grief, which will make me feel better about beating this campaign
(if indeed I ever to beat this thing).
Most
Valuable Cards (MVC)
MVC #1:
Arod (TToS). Arod is an attachment that can go on any hero (or the ally version
of Legolas), and allows the attached hero to add 1 progress token to any
location after that hero participated in an attack that destroys an enemy. As I
mentioned, some locations in this scenario increase the pursuit value when you
travel there, so this allowed me to remove a location without triggering the
travel effect.
MVC #2:
The Three Hunters (TToS). This event can only be played by Fellowship Sphere
Aragorn, but readies 3 heroes committed to the quest and gives them +1 willpower,
attack, and defense until the end of the round. This was a much appreciated
willpower boost for questing (although not enough), and also made my heroes
ready if the Encounter Deck threw any enemies at me.
Most
Valuable Hero
Aragorn
(TToS). Aragorn ability to spend two Fellowship resources to ready a character is
incredibly helpful in this scenario, as each player is down one hero for this
quest. This allowed heroes to essentially do 2 actions, but with the cost of 2
resources to trigger this it could not be activated every round.
Looking
Forward
Well,
this section is actually more like “looking backward.” I’m not particularly
happy about re-doing The Breaking of the Fellowship, but I think this will help
my campaign in the long run. So I’ll built my tri-sphere deck (Leadership,
Lore, and Tactics) and will be back soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment